Thursday, March 24, 2016

Bad News About Knees

On Monday the 14th, I got an excruciating pain in my right knee.  I had just been sitting on the floor with Mocha, and somehow my knee all of a sudden exploded with pain.  I couldn't put weight on my right leg, couldn't straighten my knee, and basically had to limp around in pain.

This continued to the next morning.  It was a little better, but still very painful.  I started taking some ibuprofen.  Days went by, and it continued to improve little by little.  At the same time, the left knee wasn't perfect either.  Needless to say, I didn't run, but somehow managed to take Mocha on her walks.

I decided to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to find out what my knees are up to these days.  I had been diagnosed with arthritis in 2007, and since then I've been able to manage pretty well.  I used to say that most days I didn't even know I had arthritis.  I attribute this to the 4000 mg of Omega 3 fish oils I've been taking every day.  But something snapped.

My doctor's appointment was yesterday, and the new X-rays showed that I do have arthritis in both knees (not news), my cartilage is very thin behind the kneecaps, and I have 2 bone spurs on each knee, one of which has broken off.

The doctor advised.....   no more running!  I was upset.  I don't want to make  my knees worse, though, and I don't want to have a joint replacement any sooner than necessary.  So I won't run.   I will walk, bike, lift weights (but no squats or lunges).  I will try to minimize further damage.

As for good news - the weather was really nice yesterday, and Mocha & I went for a short trail walk.






More good weather today - maybe we will go again.



No comments:

Post a Comment